Missing teeth not only diminish confidence, but also have a negative impact on overall oral health. Tooth loss can lead to more complex dental issues, including shifting, bite problems, and low jawbone density. Fortunately, dental implants are a reliable, long-lasting solution for tooth loss. At our Rockville, MD, practice, Dr. Victor R. Siegel provides comprehensive dental implants treatment, ensuring a balanced smile and optimal oral health. Find out if you are a candidate for dental implants by scheduling a visit to our dental practice.
How Is Candidacy for Dental Implants Evaluated?
- Bone density
- Overall health of the teeth and gums
- Position of sinuses, blood vessels, and nerves
During your initial consultation, Dr. Siegel will perform a full assessment of your teeth, gums, and jaw joints. In addition, x-rays or scans will be taken to evaluate the health and density of the underlying jawbone. Once all necessary information has been gathered, he will speak with you in detail about your concerns and oral health goals. If you are a candidate for dental implants, he will design a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
Dental implants are a reliable, long-lasting solution for tooth loss, and can provide you with a more balanced smile and optimal oral health.
Conditions that Disqualify Patients for Implants
Despite the best efforts of dental professionals and the desires of patients, some conditions may disqualify individuals from receiving dental implants. For example, this treatment may not be appropriate if you:
- Use tobacco products
- Are pregnant
- Have advanced periodontal disease
- Have jawbones that are not fully developed
- Abuse alcohol or other substances
- Grind or clench your teeth
Procedures That Can Restore Candidacy for Implants
If you are not considered an ideal candidate for dental implants, there are procedures that can restore your eligibility. If you are lacking healthy tissue, Dr. Siegel may recommend a:
- Bone graft: If there is insufficient bone tissue to accommodate an implant post, bone grafting material can be added to the jaw to increase volume and density. In most cases, a bone graft adds approximately three to six months to the total treatment time.
- Sinus lift: If the upper molars have been missing for an extended period of time, the sinus cavity may drop and inhabit the space once occupied by teeth roots. A sinus lift can raise the maxillary sinus membrane back into its original position. Once this is accomplished, a bone graft is added beneath the sinus to prepare the jaw for implants. This procedure can potentially add up to nine months to the treatment timeline.
Contact Dr. Victor R. Siegel
If you are uncertain about your candidacy for dental implants, contact Dr. Siegel today either online or by dialing (301) 963-4330 for a consultation. With over 30 years of dental experience, Dr. Siegel provides quality care for each patient in a welcoming setting. He offers oral conscious sedation, ensuring the comfort of patients during treatment. Patients also have financing options available for treatments. Dr. Siegel accepts CareCredit® financing and interest-free payment plans to help cover the cost of dental implants.