Maintaining a beautiful, healthy smile begins with practicing proper oral hygiene. Proper oral hygiene includes brushing and flossing regularly, as well as regular dental exams. Regular dental exams are vital to keeping the teeth and gums healthy and clean. If any issues are detected, general dentistry treatments can be planned to get your oral health back on track. We welcome you to schedule your next dental exam with Rockville dentist Victor R. Siegel. In the meantime, read on to learn about the importance of regular dental exams.
What to Expect During a Routine Dental Exam
Routine dental exams should be done at least every six months to catch dental problems at the earliest stages. During a routine dental exam, the teeth are checked for any signs of decay or damage, the gums are checked for disease, and the teeth are thoroughly cleaned. If any dental issues are found, a treatment plan will be created. Professional dental cleanings are one of the most important parts of a routine dental exam. Professional dental cleanings help remove built-up plaque and tartar that brushing and flossing alone are unable to remove. Professional cleanings may be done by a dentist or dental hygienist and is accomplished by using small metal scraping tools, water picks, and traditional dental floss. Once plaque and tartar is removed from the teeth, the teeth are polished to complete the cleaning.
The Importance of Regular Dental Exams
Though brushing and flossing daily are imperative to maintaining oral health, regular dental exams are just as important. Regular brushing and flossing help remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth, but brushing and flossing can also leave plaque and tartar in hard to reach areas. Regular dental exams are important for removing plaque and tartar from troublesome spots, keeping the gums and teeth healthy. Regular dental exams are important to oral health and shouldn't be skipped for the following reasons:
- Catching dental problems early: Regular dental exams are important for catching oral health problems at the earliest signs.
- Preventing dental damage: Regular dental exams can help prevent dental damage from occurring. Dental exams are also important for stopping damage from progressing to help keep the teeth healthy.
- Maintaining oral health: Dental exams are necessary for maintaining oral health. During a regular dental exam, the teeth are thoroughly cleaned to prevent gum disease and dental decay.
- Avoiding the need for costly dental treatments: Regular dental exams can help save you money in the long run. This is because annual dental exams are useful for catching dental problems at the earliest stages, before dental damage becomes severe and requires more costly treatments.
- Keeping your smile beautiful: Dental exams are also important for keeping your smile looking beautiful and healthy.
Schedule Your Next Dental Exam with Dr. Siegel
Keeping the teeth clean and healthy is a lifelong commitment, which includes brushing and flossing daily along with regular dental exams. Don't put off your next routine dental exam any longer! Schedule an appointment with Dr. Siegel today!